Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chimichurri & Petite Pains au Chocolate - NOT together!

Woke up early on Sunday morning to walk Rolex, one of our Home Buddies customers. Then I headed out to the supermarket so I could get the ingredients for 2 non-related recipes I have been dying to make. 

The first was for “Pains au Chocolat” or “Chocolate Croissants”. Most recipes take a few hours, but this one, is for the lazy like myself!

 I first tried these in St. Barths and my favorite memory is of one night (or morning… as it was about 5am) after a leaving the club, my friends and I waited for the bakery to open. It was pouring down rain, we were in a golf cart, they were fresh out of the oven… nothing was more perfect!


I love these things so much that I must consume them on my birthday. Locally, the French Bread Oven & Norman Love Confections have the best! However, if you are (a) on a budget, (b) feel like making some for friends or (c) feel like eating a lot in the privacy of your home… all you need is a few simple ingredients: puff pastry sheets, bittersweet chocolate (if you like dark) or semi-sweet (milk chocolate), 1 egg & a little bit of sugar. That’s it!

 As far as presentation is concerned...
practice makes perfect!



The other thing I was dying to make was “Chimichurri Sauce”. 

Chimichurri is a sauce that is usually served with steak in Argentina. It is available at the supermarket. We’ve tried different brands, but we never seem to like any. This recipe is the solution to our problems!

It is EXTREMELY EASY! All you have to do is buy the ingredients, clean & cut them and throw them in the food processor! Nothing taste better than fresh ingredients too and after you’ve made it a few times, you can tweak it. We liked it as the recipe states.


I bought some skirt steak, pounded it to make it tender, covered it with chopped garlic, sprinkled some adobo (all-purpose seasoning) on it, squeezed a lime on it and let it marinade for a few hours. When we were ready to eat, I threw a bag of Mexican Rice on the stove and grilled the steaks.



It was one of the least expensive and most succulent meals we’ve made at home. AND… it was the first time Dominic’s parents, Frank & Emma ate something of mine that I didn’t screw up somehow. Overall, a great success! 




1 comment: