Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mixed Feelings about Baleen @ La Playa

For our 7th Anniversary, Dominic wanted to go to The CapitalGrille, probably the best steakhouse around! However, I wanted to try a new place. I wanted it to be memorable so I went on the TripAdvisor.Com website and did a search for “romantic restaurants” in Naples. At #10 was Baleen, the restaurant at La Playa Beach & Golf Resort. I had heard some of the Camp Bow Wow customers talk about it so I visited their website. The menu and photos of the view really caught my attention. “You can sit on the sand! How romantic!” I thought.
I called to make reservations and that’s when the lack of “warm and fuzzies” began. I remembered how Dominic had told me that when he called Roy’s to make my birthday reservation, they had asked if it was a special occasion and afterwards, they surprised us with a complimentary dessert. The receptionist at Baleen was cold, didn’t ask anything more than the usual and after I requested outdoor seating, she informed me that it was “not guaranteed”. 

The day arrived and we were so excited!!! Luckily, they did have a table for us outside. Wow! What a view! I had made the reservation for 8pm hoping it wouldn’t be too hot to sit outside and the timing was perfect. The sun was beginning to set and we got to enjoy one of the many beautiful west coast sunsets!


Even though the view is VERY beautiful, the restaurant was full and loud. Because it is in a resort, not everyone there is having a romantic meal so you can hear other conversations and there are kids playing in the background. I would have preferred a more intimate setting.

Our waiter, even though polite, was not particularly friendly. I don’t know if he introduced himself. He certainly did not engage in any type of “small talk”. He assumed we were tourists and perhaps that’s why he didn’t think to ask if we were celebrating any special occasion. After he brought us our initial drinks, he disappeared for about 10 minutes. Then, he appeared to take our appetizer and entrĂ©e order. The bus boys were definitely friendlier. They brought us delicious bread and took our photo.

Dominic & I both ordered the “Lobster Bisque” soup. It was delicious with chunks of lobster, but it was definitely on the SALTY side. 

For his main course, Dominic took our waiter’s suggestion and ordered the “Roquefort Crusted Filet of Beef,
Short rib ragout, asparagus, potato crisp, natural jus”. He was very pleased with his selection and so was I! 
 
I ordered the ½ portion of the “Florida Keys Snapper with Yellow tomato fondue and green onion and Lump Crab Hash”. The fish was a bit salty, but then, the hash had a sweetness to it that balanced it all very well. 


I definitely appreciate a restaurant that serves ½ portions since I am usually full after the first course and Baleen had 3 appealing ones. 

We skipped dessert even though they had a warm dark chocolate cake with caramelized bananas & banana foster ice cream with banana caramel sauce that screamed “ORDER ME!” We may have to come back one day just for that, but we probably won’t return for the food. Dominic & I are all about good customer service and places that stand out above the rest. Our waiter didn’t go the “extra mile” for us and the food, even though good, was not extraordinary.




No comments:

Post a Comment