Friday, June 10, 2011

Migue's in town. Let's get some Cuban!

My brother Miguel flew in from Atlanta and immediately, we headed to Fernandez de Bull for some Cuban food. Migue and I grew up in Puerto Rico, but in a Cuban household. Mom & Grandma (and our Puertorrican Grandma) are three of the best cooks in the world, but they are miles away. This is why we love going to latin restaurants... to fulfill that longing for a nice home cooked meal.

I wanted to take them to El Morro, at 5575 Golden Gate Parkway @ Santa Barbara, but it was out of the way and every one was starving so we headed to the 1201 Piper Boulevard (Immokalee & Airport) location of Fernandez de Bull. We have been to the 1265 Airport-Pulling Rd S (Ste #19) location near the Davis Blvd intersection, but never to this one.

Dominic had the brilliant idea of ordering a "piña colada" and I jumped at that! Migue ordered his favorite: "malta", a type of non-alcoholic beer / soda. Then the garlic bread arrived... warm and buttery... yummmmm!

For my meal, I ordered my favorite since as long as I can remember: "masitas" (fried pork chunks) with white rice and "maduros" (sweet plantains). I also ordered a side of "yuca con mojo", boiled yucca root with a delicious garlic sauce. I had never tried "yuca" until about a year ago when we tried it at the other Fernandez de Bull location. I instantly fell in love. It was delicious! This time, it was good, but not great. The exterior was perfect, but it was a bit too firm in the middle, perhaps because the pieces were so large.

Dominic was craving "churrasco" with grilled shrimp and opted for the "moros con cristianos" (aka "congrí, black beans & rice mixed together) with sweet plantains on the side, of course!
Migue went for the "ropa vieja". I have no idea how this dish got its name "old clothes" but its a big favorite in our family. Marco's Cuban Cafe, right in front of Camp Bow Wow on Airport and also on Enterprise, makes awesome "ropa vieja". So did Bello Monte (5612 8th St W # 6, Lehigh Acres, FL) when it was owned by Cubans. I don't know now that it is owned by Puertorricans (still good food, but don't know if they changed the "ropa vieja"). Bottom line, none of us were impressed when Migue's dish arrived and apparently, he didn't much care for it.

Too bad for him! At least my left overs were still scrumptious the next day!

1 comment:

  1. Mujer me estas haciendo la boca agua and I can't even eat half of this stuff but they sure look yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete